H&R Group
About H&R

The First World War had just ended and times had not yet returned to normal. Perhaps this was just the challenge that the salesman Heinrich Hansen and the banker Emil Rosenthal needed to start Hansen & Rosenthal KG (H&R) and to register themselves in the commercial register of the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg on the 16 December 1919. The purpose of the company was to buy and sell white oils and petroleum jellies.

Very early on a business relationship was formed with Ölwerke Julius Schindler (OJS), founded in 1920, that became of ever increasing importance in the decades that followed. For example, medical white oils were manufactured.

Despite the difficult post-war circumstances, the company developed successfully right from the start. This remained the case after the co-founder Rosenthal left in 1923 and Heinrich Hansen continued the business alone. His motto was: Quality and absolute reliability!

Continuous growth and more employees soon made it necessary to move from the office in the 'Hopfensack' to larger premises on the 'Großer Burstah' near the Hamburg Town Hall.

The events of the Second World War were unable to slow down the entrepreneurship of Heinrich Hansen. After a fresh start in 1945 and the later relocation of the office to the Ost-West-Strasse there was a further move to the building on Heilholtkamp. Since July 2005 the head office has been located in the newly-developed HafenCity Hamburg, Am Sandtorkai, directly next to the old historic Speicherstadt.

However, Hansen & Rosenthal has always remained true to its hanseatic tradition: on the one hand, to remain grounded and maintain existing relationships and, on the other, to build global contacts and extend business relationships.